Watercraft Insurance & Safety Tips
Ready to get that new boat out on the water this summer?
Watercraft Insurance & Safety Tips.
Trust our expert brokers to review the right insurance options for you and help get you properly protected and insured. Our watercraft insurance policies help to protect your boat, the equipment and occupants. Contact us today at 403.392.6118 and learn about our affordable coverages for all of your recreational needs.
Water sports, relaxing in the sun and splashing in the water are great ways to make memories with family and friends. Water lovers must be careful near the marina and dock, though, to ensure that their getaways are safe ones. If you are hitting the open waters this season, don’t forget these safety tips!
- Dock at a marina that has standpipes, fire extinguishers, good lighting, surveillance cameras and security measures in place.
- Always wear personal flotation devices when on the water, and require them for children and those that cannot swim.
- Do not swim near a marina since boaters cannot see you when they are trying to dock.
- Keep your boat in good condition with all equipment meeting safety standards established in your area.
- Ensure that the marina has the proper power voltage for your boat.
- Add fuel to portable tanks on the dock only; never on the deck of your boat.
To avoid a potential fire onboard, inspect fuel hoses and containers on a regular basis to prevent the escaping vapors from going into bilges. Also, check the wiring and all appliances on deck for damage frequently. As a safety precaution, keep fire extinguishers on deck and fit smoke detectors to the cabin.
Have you been itching to get out on the water and haven’t been able to find the right watercraft for you? Try renting first and see which type of watercraft best suits your needs. Our friends at Sun Sports Rentals in Sylvan Lake have some great options for rentals.