Top 5 Things to do if you get into an accident
So, you got into an accident…now what? Here are our top 5 things to do immediately.
- Ensure everyone is safe and unharmed. If there are injuries, please call 911. Locate witnesses and gather their information
- Take photos. Document damage and the scene of the accident with photos. Also, take photos of the other parties insurance information
- Call the police to report the accident
- If the vehicle is safe to drive, take it somewhere safe to park. Alternatively, call a tow truck. Many auto policies include coverage for a rental vehicle while your vehicle is being repaired or replaced. Be sure to review your policy with your broker to ensure you have this coverage.
- File a claim. Contact your broker. You can call or text us directly and we will gather the information needed to file the claim on your behalf. Alternately, on our website, you can find a 24/7 claims portal OR 1-800 number for each insurance company. You will be prompted to provide the accident information and file the claim directly to the insurance company.
We are always, always available to walk you through this process. We are available by text, email, or phone and are happy to review your policy coverage or walk you through any questions you may have. If your vehicle does need repairs, be sure to ask us for recommendations on where to take it for a repair estimate.
Remember to stay calm, take pictures, and ensure that everyone’s safety is your top priority. Want another hot tip? Print out these 5 steps and keep them with your proof of insurance. That way, you have them handy to follow if you do end up in an accident.